Is adding user to docker group still needed on macOS?

I just installed Docker Desktop (version 2.3.0.3) on macOS.
The Devilbox documentation states:

Docker for Mac requires super user privileges which is granted to a system wide group called docker . After having installed Docker on your system, ensure that your local user is a member of the docker group.

After checking I saw there is no docker user group on my system. Is something wrong or is adding my user account to the docker group no longer needed?

Thanks!

Are you able to startup the stack as a normal user?

Yes, all runs without a problem. Tested on 2 different Macs, both running macOS Catalina.

If you type id on the command line, do you see any non-default groups assigned to your user?

I see a lot of groups, but no docker groups.

> id
uid=501(xxxx) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),12(everyone),61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),80(admin),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),33(_appstore),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),250(_analyticsusers),395(com.apple.access_ftp),398(com.apple.access_screensharing),399(com.apple.access_ssh),400(com.apple.access_remote_ae),701(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1)

I did a quick search on google and If I am not mistaken, it should suffice to be part of the staff group now. Not sure when this changed. @renekreijveld on MacOS are you always automatically a member of the staff group or do you need to assign that explicitly?

No, a macOS user is always by default member of the staff group.