Enable NFS on MacOS

Hi

As there is a speed issue with Docker on MacOS I’m trying out Docker edge with Devilbox. One thing that I keep on reading about is using NFS so I would like to try it out.

What I have done so far is edit both the /etc/exports and /etc/nfs.conf files.

I’m just not knowledgeable enough to make the changes required to docker-compose.override.yml and .env files. I’ve done extensive Googling but just can’t figure it out.

Is anybody using NFS with Devilbox/Docker? What changes must I make to the docker-compose.override.yml and .env files? Specifically DEVILBOX_PATH settings.

I also had big performance problems with Devilbox and Docker in general on my Mac. The problem was compounded by the M1 processors and lack of support for the ARM architecture of Docker images. Devilbox ran more smoothly on my Windows-notebook. Using WSL made it even faster.

In the meantime, the performance of Devilbox under MacOS Monterey is quite acceptable for a development system. Without much tinkering. By using the experimental feature “Enable VirtioFS” in Docker Desktop and by setting the MOUNT_OPTION in the .env file to “MOUNT_OPTIONS=,delegated” it runs well. In the meantime, all relevant Docker images for the ARM architecture are also available for all non-Intel Macs.

1 Like